Friday, September 9, 2011

... You're running late.


Don't you hate it when...you're running late?

A couple of weeks ago, I don't know what happened. I did what I normally do, then I looked up at the clock and realized that I was running 15 min. late for work. I hate running late. I've put together a list of reasons why as follows:

  1. I'm not as focused
  2. My stress level goes up
  3. I waste time back tracking


Now I will cover these reasons in detail.


  1. Not focused
I have noticed that when I'm running late, I'm not nearly as focused as usual. This causes me to make a bunch of silly mistakes and forget things, due to rushing, therefore, making myself even later. When I realized that I was running late, I started to throw all of my crap (clothes, keys, lunch, etc.) together. Finally ready to leave, now I can't find my keys. I frantically searched about the houselooking for my keys, only to discover that they were in my pocket.



    2. Stress level up

When I'm in a rush, my stress level goes up. I react differently to circumstances, than I would normally. As I was frantically dashing about the house, I tripped over the dog. “Get outta my way stupid” I yelled at the poor dog. He was simply at the wrong place at the wrong time. He probably thought “Who're you calling stupid”, I know where my keys are”. I realized that it's not the dogs' fault that I'm running late. He saw me grab my coat and was just saying good-bye as usual.


  1. waste time back-tracking
The final thing that I hate about running late is back-tracking. When I was rushing, I couldn't seem to remember anything. Did I pack my lunch? Did a put some fruit and veggies in there? Did I make coffee? I must have wasted at least 10 min. trying to remember what I may have forgotten.

Here are some solutions to running late that I have experimented with.


  1. Plan ahead
  2. Have a running late plan
  3. stop and simply breathe
  4. Leave earlier


Let's look at these ideas in detail.

  1. Plan ahead
By planning ahead and kind of having a schedule, I've found that I have been less likely to run late in the first place. I have been setting my clothes out the night before. It was kind of a pain at first because it wasn't part of my routine. Oh, that'sright, my routine is what I'm changing. I began to set the non-perishable items for my lunch out on the table, then all I need to do is pack what ever else is needed. I set up the coffee pot the night before. I even made a hook for my keys near the front door. I didn't run late for about a week. That'spretty good for me.


  1. Late plan
What about the unexpected you say? Well I did not run late for a little over a week. I found that I had “extra time”. I spent my “extra time” on the computer, surfing the web, checking my blog, etc.. Good thing that I thought ahead and made up a “late plan” for such events.

I made up a list of essentials in the event that I ran late, or something unexpected came up. It was just a simple list of all the things that I generally need (ie. Lunch, keys, clothes, etc.). I prioritized them according to necessity.

Well,this time when I ran late, I simply pulled out my little late list and read it. Keys; check, lunch; check, coffee; check etc.; check. This saved me a lot of time and I was able to make up for someof the time that got away from me. I ended up being on time.


I don't want this blog torun on, so I will pick up at method #3 next time.


See you next time, Chris

No comments: