Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Tattletales



Welcome to the latest edition of Don't you hate it when.... Today we will be covering my experiences with tattletales (snitches). I used the title tattletale in the header to make it sound more PC. That word keeps confusing me, because it is actually one word, and I keep trying to make it into two words (ie. tattle tale). Therefore, I will interchange the word tattletale and snitch. They are the same thing. I would say that if it's a child, we may be talking about a tattletale. However, if it's an adult, they're just out right snitches. You know who they are!


Anyway, we all know or work with someone, who we would consider to be a tattletale. You know, the ones who just tell everything. Some may say, don't do anything wrong and you won't have to worry about bring told on. This sounds like something my dad would say (R.I.P). The problem with this ideology is that we all make mistakes, and do things that are not quite up to par. When we do, we don't need some tattletale running to the boss to tell of our misfortune.


I recently had the pleasure of working with such a person, which made for a very long day. I do not like working with such people and (as usual) have put together a list of the reasons why. They are as follows:


  1. May as well have the boss working next to you
  2. You can't trust snitches
  3. They are addicted to seeking attention
  4. Adds unnecessary stress
  5. They can cost you your job
  6. most snitches are cowards





Now I will cover each reason in more detail.



  1. May as well have the boss working next to you
Who wants to have their boss working next to them for eight hours. I know I don't. If for no other reason, it would be uncomfortable. Well, it's just as uncomfortable to have a known tattletale next to you for eight hours. It is impossible to have a working knowledge of every single rule (policy and procedure) that my organization has in place. I am bound to not follow at least one of them. I don't need some snitch sitting next to me, with the bosses' # on speed dial, so that he can be on the phone the second that I violate one of the 10,000,000 rules that we have posted.


I had a guy, who works on another shift find extra supplies that we had stashed, in case we ran out. What do you think he did? You guessed it, he ran straight to the boss. How petty. Even the boss though it was petty, and told me next time to simply hide them somewhere else. Nobody likes a rat. I don't even like when my kids tell on each other. Who needs this kind of crap? What was the purpose, other than to make us look bad, and himself look good. What a rat.





  1. You can't trust them
This goes without saying , we all know that you can't trust a rat. The guy who told about the supplies was supposed to be a friend of mine. Not a close friend mind you, but we have known each other for a while and were friendly towards each other. In front of people he tries to play it up, as if we're the best of buddies. You know the type.


Well the way I see it, if you're my 'bud', then why would you go out of your way to “rat” me out??? What a snake. Those of you who know me by now, know that I confronted this individual on this issue. I will cover the outcome in a latter section.





  1. Most snitches are attention seekers
The guy who ratted me out about the supplies is the epitome of an attention seeker. We relieve them at shift change, and generally get briefed on the days events. It generally takes less than a minute. It's just a brief recant of the days events. Not so with this guy. Day after day, he feels the need to give a full exposition on every single detail of the days events. He usually rambles on anywhere from 10-15 minutes. If I let him, he will hold me hostage telling me of all of his trivial events during the day. I've learned to simply ignore this guy, and go on about my duties. Really? Is all of that really necessary??? If he gives me that much detail, I can only imagine how much he tells the boss at the 'bon-fires', or when he's laying across his couch. Listening to his full synopsis of the days events, each and every day, gets really old really fast.


  1. Adds unnecessary stress
Did I lock everything up? Is everything put in it's proper place? Have I dotted every I, and crossed every T? These are the things that run through my mind when working alongside a tattletale. I know that any mistake, no matter how minute, will be reported to the boss immediately. This creates added, and undue stress.


I find things out of place all the time. I simply put them away in their proper place, as opposed to running to the boss 10 times per day. . Of course I'm not a snitch. One day someone left a mess in the break room. True people should clean up after themselves. Wouldn't you know it, someone actually went and got a camera, took a picture of it, and went and showed the boss. Are you serious? Yes, that's the type of environment I work in. Never seen anything like it.




  1. Snitches can cost you your job
Seems a little far fetched doesn't it? I would like to think that I don't do anything quite bad enough to get fired for. Right? Well, listen to this.


We were all leaving at the end of our shift. One of the tattletales was holding up the line at the time clock. One of the people behind him called him a retard. If the rat didn't like it, he could have simply confronted the guy about it right? Again, not so with the tattletale. This guy actually filed discriminatory harassment papers against this person. What a weasel.


The employee who called the other guy a retard, actually had a disciplinary hearing on this matter. They boss recommended termination. Really? For calling someone a retard? These are the times that we live in. Everyone has to be so PC.


Well luckily, matters such as this have to go through the really big shots, who recommended a five day suspension. Imagine this employee came close to losing his job, because some people get a kick out of being tattletales.


Even at that, this employee lost a weeks worth of vacation time, because of a tattletale, who simply could have confronted him right then and there. I'd be a little pissed, wouldn't you?




  1. Most snitches are cowards
The same tattletale who told on me about stashing supplies was logging in the log book the exact time that my co-worker and I would come in to relieve them. (ie 1301 etc.) I confronted him about this issue. Of course he couldn't explain why he was doing it. He had nothing to say. Every other day he gives a two hour briefing Now on this particular day, he was too tired to talk about it. Well, this particular issue stopped immediately.


Tattletales always take the path of least resistance. While he won't do the log book thing again, I knew that he would soon find a more discrete way of telling. Lo and behold, the supply issue. They can't resist it. It's like a disease. Well enough for now. I actually didn't mean to run this long.


Join us next time when we cover the solutions to dealing with tattletales.



See you next time, Chris

No comments: